Open Position: Director, Technology Acceleration
The Earth Fund is currently building its team, strategy, and portfolio of philanthropic work. To help deliver on this exciting and urgent agenda, we are concurrently seeking a number of Technical Directors and are currently focused on the search for a leader to drive forward our Technology Acceleration portfolio.
In every Technical Director role, we are looking for leaders with deep technical expertise and a track record of shaping bold ideas and driving action. Candidates will be deeply committed to the urgent task of systems change that will be needed in this decisive decade as we strive to achieve the goals of the Paris Agreement, a “nature positive” future, and social justice for all.
While many of the solutions we will need to drive greenhouse gas emissions to net-zero by midcentury are already available, some are still in the RD&D or pre-commercial stage. To tackle climate change at the speed and scale required we need to accelerate commercialization of technologies that drastically cut greenhouse gas emissions while alsoproviding affordable and accessible electricity, heating and cooling, mobility, industrial production, food, removal of CO2 from the atmosphere and more. Technology research, development, and commercialization lies primarily in the hands of governments and the private sector, but philanthropy can play a crucial catalytic role by, for example, promoting public policies that incentivize zero-emission energy and products, supporting entrepreneurs, or setting the stage for more capital to flow to emerging technologies.
Role and Responsibilities
The Director, Technology Acceleration will lead the Fund’s work to identify high-leverage opportunities to accelerate commercialization of technologies the world needs to combat climate change and protect the natural world while also centering equity. Potential partners include research and development organizations, corporations, governments, multilaterals,
and other relevant players that help take technologies from RD&D through to commercialization.
The Director will work with the President & CEO, the Vice President, Strategy and Programs, and a growing team to identify and design scalable programs, convene key partners, identify excellent organizations and projects, direct funding to high-impact initiatives, track results, and share knowledge. They will engage with experts and decision-makers and be open to new ideas and partners. The Director will approach this work with a spirit of curiosity, collaboration, humility, and learning, while also focusing on results and being ambitious on behalf of the Fund’s mission.
Examples of the kinds of technology areas that may be explored include (among others): direct air capture technologies, electrofuels, long duration energy storage, methane capture technologies, microbial proteins as an alternative to meat, and technologies for measuring and mapping soil composition.
- The Director must have relevant expertise, an entrepreneurial spirit, and exceptional strategic, collaboration, and communication skills.
- They will have a strong understanding of technology and how it applies to climate solutions and experience working in an international context.
- The candidate should have a hands-on, team-oriented, low-ego approach, good interpersonal skills, relevant international networks, and a deep understanding of what it takes to bring technologies from lab to market.
- Professional presence and the ability to interact effectively with leaders in government, business, philanthropy, and civil society are also of great importance.
- The successful candidate will have a minimum of 15 years of relevant professional experience that demonstrates intellectual, strategic, and managerial leadership.
- They should have a graduate degree in a relevant field.
- As the Bezos Earth Fund is currently in start-up mode, the candidate should be comfortable and effective in a growing team and fluid, fast-moving work environment.
- Preferred Location: Washington DC, but flexible for extraordinary candidates. Please highlight if you have the right to work in the US in your application.
Interested in applying?
We actively welcome all qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, gender identity or expression, genetic information, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, disability, military/veteran status, compensation history or any other basis prohibited by law. Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter as soon as possible.