Open Position: Editorial Manager
The Bezos Earth Fund is looking for an exceptional communicator to join our communications team. The ideal candidate comes to the position with an entrepreneurial, can-do approach where no project is too big or too small. Reporting to the Chief Communications Officer, this individual will be an exceptional, experienced writer and editor skilled at storytelling across a variety of mediums.
As the Earth Fund's communications will be in service of its mission, experience in and a genuine commitment to climate action and the protection of the natural world is essential to success.
- Research and write for a variety of formats, develop compelling and accurate editorial content for the website, press releases, speeches, email, video, and more
- Develop and produce story ideas for myriad content needs across digital channels, thought leadership and media relations
- Work with grantees and other stakeholders to uncover storytelling opportunities, serving as the primary liaison for grantee communications needs
- Serve as lead for emerging internal communications needs
- Collaborate with program teams to create materials and generate story ideas
- Support the development and execution of the strategic communications plan
- Coordinate editorial activities, including writing, collaborating with experts and partners for review, copyediting and content distribution
- Develop and evolve message frameworks and talking points for key initiatives, strategic priorities, events, and more
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
8+ years of communications experience and Bachelor’s degree. Experience working in climate, conservation, energy strongly preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Commitment to the Bezos Earth Fund’s missions and values
- Experience writing compelling and accurate stories in issue areas focused on climate, conservation, sustainability, and/or sustainable development
- Exceptional writing and editing skills (mastery of AP style), with demonstrated experience writing articles, social media copy, public relations materials
- Strong story development capabilities to create compelling angles for media pitching and external facing content
- A strategic, creative thinker who communicates complex ideas in concise, persuasive language in written and visual storytelling
- Exemplary at project management, skillfully managing multiple projects, shifting priorities, and competing deadlines from start to finish with attention to detail and minimal supervision
- Team player comfortable with both day-to-day execution and strategy
- Ability to organize materials, distill complex ideas, write lively and compelling content for a variety of mediums
- Excellent stakeholder engagement skills
- Experience with a variety of communication tools to produce content including designing and producing written, audio, visual, and multimedia content and stories
- A self-starter who can work independently and successfully in a start-up environment and interface with senior leaders
- Commitment to building and strengthening a culture of inclusion within and across teams
- Ability to travel as needed
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- May require extended hours for urgent issues or to meet established deadlines.
- This position will begin working remotely and will become hybrid mid-year
- This position is based in Washington, DC
This position offers a competitive salary and includes a comprehensive benefits package. The Bezos Earth Fund is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all federal, state, and local laws concerning employment discrimination. The Earth Fund recognizes diversity as an asset essential to accomplishing its work.