Open Position: Intern, Decarbonization Pathways
The Bezos Earth Fund is seeking an intern to conduct research and analysis, coordinate convenings, and meetings, and otherwise support our program in decarbonization pathways.
The Bezos Earth Fund is a new and fast-growing philanthropy dedicated to combating climate change and protecting nature. To inform its strategy and investment decisions, the Bezos Earth Fund is committed to using the best available information on the challenges the world faces; the transformations required to address them; and the effectiveness of interventions to overcome barriers and drive systemic change. The Fund is interested in not only assessing how its support is having impact but also the ways in which transformative change can be created and maintained to address the Fund’s strategic priorities.
The Bezos Earth Fund is seeking an intern to conduct research and analysis, coordinate convenings, and meetings, and otherwise support our program in decarbonization pathways. The position requires an adept researcher and analyst who is able to identify and analyze trends and evidence to help the Earth Fund develop and refine its strategies for climate mitigation across energy and land systems.
We seek someone with broad interdisciplinary knowledge and exposure to multiple aspects relevant to the climate mitigation agenda. This position is for a limited term and can be part time (20 hours per week) or full time (40 hours per week). It will report to the Director of Decarbonization Pathways.
The Intern will have the following responsibilities:
- Provide timely data and analysis to support effective deployment of funding in line with the Fund’s climate mitigation goals. In so doing, conduct research and analysis on the challenges at hand, the state of play regarding promising solutions, and evidence about the ingredients of transformational change.
- Monitor and summarize current events in climate mitigation to ensure that the Fund is up to date.
- Conduct background research on key topical areas of interest for the Fund’s climate mitigation agenda.
- Help identify knowledge gaps where further research, data and innovation can produce changes in society consistent with the Fund’s climate mitigation mission.
- Work directly with the Director of Decarbonization Pathways to perform other duties as assigned.
- Current or recent graduate of a master’s or PhD degree program in economics, environmental science or engineering, or public policy with knowledge of climate issues, required
- An interdisciplinary background is preferred
- Prior research and analysis experience is required
Skills and Abilities
- Strong analytical and research skills and proven ability to deliver high-quality work
- Excellent writing, editing, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills
- Great attention to details
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, and work under tight deadlines
- Strong analytical competency and quantitative skills
- Exceptional written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated passion for the Bezos Earth Fund’s mission
- Self-starter with ability to juggle multiple assignments at one time
- Friendly, positive demeanor and determined attitude
- Ability to collaborate with teams
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- May require extended hours for urgent issues or to meet established deadlines.
- The preferred location for this position is Washington, D.C.
This is a paid position. The Bezos Earth Fund is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all federal, state, and local laws concerning employment discrimination. The Earth Fund recognizes diversity as an asset essential to accomplishing its work.